Invest in your credit union.
Equity shares provide an opportunity for members to invest directly in their financial institution – BlueShore Financial. Your investments fund capital projects like new branches, renovations, computer system upgrades and other projects designed to improve the client service we provide.
Now Available: Class C Investment Equity Shares
Class C Investment Equity Shares provide members with a higher yield on their investment, earning a premium rate of return that is targeted to outperform traditional term deposits. They provide an opportunity for members to invest directly in the credit union’s future growth and expansion.
Class C Investment Equity Shares have a consistent history of competitive dividend returns and are backed by the financial stability of the credit union. They provide a secure, low-risk investment option as part of a diversified portfolio and are ideal for clients who:
- Have a long-term investment horizon
- Are seeking higher returns in a safe investment alternative that is not subject to market volatility
- Are not primarily concerned with having immediate access to their funds.
You can purchase Investment Equity Shares at any time, and add to your share holdings over time – much like any savings account. Your dividends can be reinvested to purchase additional shares (like interest compounding, for greater returns) or paid out to supplement your income. You can modify how you’d like your dividends paid, as your financial needs change.
Class C Investment Equity Shares at a glance:
|Class C Investment Equity Shares|
|Dividends||Dividends are declared at the discretion of the Board of Directors and paid quarterly. Payment of dividends is not guaranteed, nor is the dividend yield. Dividends are treated as interest income, for tax purposes.|
|Fees & Commissions||No fees or commissions apply to purchase or management of equity shares|
|Term||Long-term investment; no set term length or maturity date.|
|Share Value||Shares have a fixed par value of $1.00. There is no active “resale” market for equity shares; they are “redeemed” when the credit union buys them back from a member|
|Minimum Purchase||1,000 shares ($1,000); minimum amount for subsequent purchases is $500|
|Maximum Purchase||Clients can hold up to 500,000 shares ($500,000). Purchases over 250,000 shares require approval from the credit union.|
|Historical Rates of Return||Consistent history of competitive dividend returns|
|Eligibility||Non-registered, RRSP, TFSA|
|Redemption||Requests to redeem shares (partial or all) are approved at the discretion of the Board of Directors.|
|Transferability||Share ownership is not transferable, except in situations involving jointly held shares, where rights of survivorship apply as noted on the Share Subscription Agreement.|
|Deposit Insurance||Not covered by the Credit Union Deposit Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (CUDIC) deposit guarantee. Shares are backed by the financial stability of the credit union.|
For full details on Class C Investment Equity Shares, please read the Disclosure Statement and speak with an BlueShore Financial financial advisor to determine if this investment option is right for your needs.
Types of Equity Shares
There are several different classes of equity shares, each structured differently. Only two classes of Equity Shares – Class A Membership Shares and Class C Investment Equity Shares are currently available.
- Class A Membership Shares: Purchased when you join BlueShore Financial and open your first accounts.
- Class B Transaction Shares: Not available at this time. Linked to securing BlueShore Financial mortgages and loans.
- Class C Investment Equity Shares: Provide a secure, long-term investment alternative, targeted for a premium rate of return. Dividends are declared quarterly by BlueShore Financial’s Board of Directors.
- Class E Equity Shares: Not available at this time. Provide ongoing tax deferrals and a higher potential for yield based on dividends declared annually by BlueShore Financial’s Board of Directors.
- Classes G – Q Preferred Equity Shares: Not available at this time. Provide a guaranteed return through dividends declared at time of purchase and a set investment time horizon (typically five, seven or ten years).
Historical rates of return.
Equity share dividends are declared each quarter by BlueShore Financial’s Board of Directors. Please refer to the information below, as a reference to the historical rates of return on our equity shares.