OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
At BlueShore Financial we believe that protecting our clients’ privacy is one of our top priorities. We pledge our commitment to respecting your privacy rights as one of our clients, and we also ensure that we protect the personal information of the visitors of our website, online banking and mobile application.
Effective as of June 2021.
To support this commitment, we have established a robust privacy program that is designed to protect the personal information that you entrust to us. Our privacy program includes:
- policies and procedures to manage and protect personal information
- practices to receive and respond to privacy complaints and inquiries
- staff training to ensure our policies are understood and followed at all times
If at any time you have questions or want to learn more about how BlueShore Financial manages and protects your personal information you may contact our Privacy Officer.
Privacy Notice Scope
BlueShore Financial complies with privacy regulations in Canada including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and the Personal Information and Protection Act (PIPA) in British Columbia. This Privacy Notice explains how we manage your personal information.
We strive to ensure that your personal information is not used or shared for any purpose not explained in this Privacy Notice.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information refers to any information that identifies you or can identify you. Examples of personal information include name, home address, personal telephone number, date of birth, social insurance number, income, assets and liabilities, financial transactions, credit history, identification, employment information, or online behaviour is considered personal information.
Why We Collect and Use Your Personal Information
We collect your personal information for the following purposes to:
- Establish and provide you with financial services and products including opening and managing accounts, identifying you, communicating with you, creating a financial plan.
- Provide you with personalized products and services including letting you know about new services, products, promotions or opportunities.
- Manage our business including protecting BlueShore Financial and you from illegal or fraudulent activity.
- Improve our services and products, and training and quality assurance purposes, assessing and managing our risk, collecting debts and enforcing our rights.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Examples of Personal Information We Collect and Why
We need to identify you
We need to confirm who you are and verify the information you have provided to us: We will ask for your name, address, telephone numbers, email address, and date of birth, and may ask for other forms of identification such as a valid driver’s license or passport. We also use this information to comply with anti-money laundering and “know your client” requirements.
Date of Birth
This helps us verify your identity. We may also use this information to determine your interest in some of our products and services, such as setting up your retirement portfolio.
Social Insurance Number
Under the Canadian Income Tax Act, we are required to obtain your social insurance number (SIN) if there are tax implications to your financial transactions. With your consent (which is optional), we may use your SIN for identification and credit reporting purposes.
This information helps us identify you and allows us to communicate with you including to send you statements and notices, obtain instructions and respond to your requests and inquiries.
Employment and Financial Information
We collect this information to better understand your unique financial situation and investment and credit needs to provide you with investment advice or eligibility for products and services. We may also need information about the source of incoming funds or source of wealth.
We obtain credit and other information about you from the credit reporting agency, Equifax. The information may include the types of accounts, balances, credit limits, payment history, previous bankruptcies and other information.
This information is required for certain types of insurance products. So that we can assess insurance risk and insurance coverage, including the assessment of claims.
Other related parties
In some circumstances, we may need information about related parties to establish and manage our relationship with you. For example, your spouse, legal guardian, beneficiaries or personal representatives.
How we collect
There are a number of ways we collect information from you, including from our interactions with you in person at a branch, over the telephone, or via websites, or as part of our products and service offering, and from other third parties such as brokers.
BlueShore Financial Website and Mobile App Collection
In order to provide you with a great web and mobile experience, we will collect personal information related to your use of our website and mobile app. This information will allow us to analyze user trends, evaluate and make improvements to our website and mobile app to serve you better. The personal information we collect includes:
- IP address
- Date and time of usage
- Device type and operating system
- Cookies (a technology that installs information on a computer to permit a website to recognize future visits using that computer).
We collect personal information directly from you through our website when you fill out the Contact Form, when you use the Live Chat, when you subscribe to our newsletter or when you respond to one of our surveys.
Who We Share Your Information With
We will disclose your personal information with third-parties only for the purposes described below if you provide us with your consent.
- Third-party service providers that process or handle information on our behalf, in which case, we require them to protect the information consistent with our privacy policies and security safeguards
- BlueShore Financial business partners and affiliates that support us in providing you products and services. For example, any personal health information collected in connection with an insurance product is only shared with the insurance partner that BlueShore Financial works with
- Credit reporting agencies including information relating to your credit applications and payment history
- Prevent fraud and meet legal requirements. For example, while processing foreign drafts as our service partners outside of Canada are required to verify your identity against money laundering before releasing funds
- To other joint account holders, representatives, executors or beneficiaries
- To any entities that we sell part of our business or assets to or merge or amalgamate with, in which case, we require them to protect the information consistent with our privacy policies and security safeguards
In addition, we will disclose your personal information when we are required to, or permitted by law in order to comply with laws and regulations.
How Long We Retain Your Personal Information
We may keep and use your personal information for as long as it is needed for the purposes described above and for legal and business purposes.
How We Protect Your Personal Information
We take the responsibility to protect your personal information seriously. We have implemented protective measures in our technology and processes designed to safeguard the personal information in our custody against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, and disclosure.
We grant access to your personal information only to the parties that require it to fulfil their job requirements and services to you.
Please remember that internet information transmissions are not 100% secure. Because of this, we cannot guarantee the security of the method of transmission of any information that you choose to send to us in electronic format outside of our website. We will make every effort to protect your personal information once it is in our custody.
Make sure that you follow our instructions when sending us your personal information and avoid sharing it through unsecure methods such as email or social media.
Notification about Privacy Breaches
At BlueShore Financial, we have prepared a response plan for addressing any privacy or security breaches that may occur.
In the event we learn of a privacy or security breach that may impact your personal information, we will notify you through the contact information you have provided. We will inform you of the specifics of the breach and advise you of any corrective steps that may be required.
How You Can Access and Update Your Personal Information
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, up-to-date and complete.
Upon request, we will give you access to the information we hold about you. When you make a request related to your personal information, we will inform you of any limitations and charges related to your specific request. There may be exceptions where we cannot honour your request based on legal, regulatory or contractual requirements. For example, we cannot delete any of your personal information if you have an active account with us.
Personal Information Transfers Outside of Canada
We engage with third-party service providers that process information on our behalf. Some of these third-party service providers are located outside of Canada and therefore we transfer your personal information to the locations where our third-party service providers offer their services and systems from.
These third-party service providers need to comply with the privacy requirements and legislation of their location; therefore, your personal information may be made available to the authorities of the regions where our third-party service providers are storing your personal information.
If you have a question, concern or complaint about this privacy Notice, how we manage your personal information, a specific request regarding your personal information or BlueShore Financial’s privacy practices in general, please contact our Privacy Officer who may be reached as follows:
BlueShore Financial Attention: Privacy Officer
1250 Lonsdale Avenue
BC V7M 2H6
Other ways to contact us:
- Call us at our Solution Centre 604.982.8000 or toll-free 1.888.713.6728
- Online Contact Form
- Live Chat
- Visit a branch
Updates to Privacy Notice
We will update this Notice periodically to reflect any changes in the way we manage your personal information or if there are any new regulatory requirements we need to comply with.
The Notice will be posted showing the effective date. We encourage you to review this page for the latest changes.