Investment Partner FAQs
- Which companies are involved in the 2018 merger?
On April 1, 2018, the merger of the businesses of Credential Financial, Qtrade Financial Group and NEI Investments closed and Aviso Wealth Inc. was formed. Aviso Wealth is jointly owned by Desjardins and CU CUMIS Wealth Holdings LP., a partnership of Canada’s Credit Union Centrals and CUMIS.
- Why did the three companies merge?
Canadian consumers are demanding more options, greater flexibility and more value when it comes to managing their money. By joining forces, the united organization is better positioned to respond to the changing and increasingly competitive financial environment.
- What’s the primary benefit of this merger?
Combined as Aviso Wealth, the three merged companies create a stronger organization with a holistic wealth management value proposition, entrenched in the values of the credit union system. Through Aviso Wealth, BlueShore Financial can provide clients with a more comprehensive range of integrated products and services to meet their evolving wealth needs.
- What happens next?
Aviso Wealth Inc. will continue to move through the integration process and we will communicate with our clients to inform you of any changes that may impact you.
- What is Qtrade Investor?
Qtrade Investor is BlueShore Financial’s award-winning online brokerage partner. Qtrade Investor gives you everything you need to trade online or from mobile: a full range of investments and account types, competitive commissions, helpful tools and resources, and outstanding customer support. Qtrade Investor is powered by Aviso Wealth, one of Canada’s largest independent providers of financial services, which is owned by the Canadian Credit Union Centrals, CUMIS and Desjardins.
- Do I have to belong to a credit union to have an account at Qtrade Investor?
No. Any Canadian resident (except Quebec and Territories) of the age of majority can open an account at Qtrade Investor.
- How long does it take to open an account with Qtrade Investor?
Completing an account application online only takes a few minutes, and you can submit all your documents electronically, without printing off or mailing any forms. In most cases, you can have your account open, funded and ready to use in a matter of days.
- Is there an account minimum with Qtrade Investor?
No, there’s no account minimum with Qtrade Investor, so you can start investing with any amount.
- What are the costs to open an account?
There are no fees to open a trading account at Qtrade Investor. However, there is a quarterly administration fee of $25. This administration fee is waived if any of the following apply:
- You have at least $25,000 in assets as of the last business day of each calendar quarter
- You completed at least 2 commission-generating equity or option trades during the immediately preceding calendar quarter
- You completed at least 8 commission-generating equity or option trades during the immediately preceding 12 months
- You add $100 or more to your account each month by recurring electronic funds contribution
- You are 18-30 years of age and add $50 or more each month to your account by recurring electronic funds contribution
- You have been a client for less than one calendar quarter
- How much is the commission when I trade?
- Our standard trading commission is $8.75. (For a complete list of fees and commissions, please consult Qtrade Investor’s full fee schedule)
- For those with larger portfolios ($500,000 or more in assets) and those who trade more frequently (150 or more trades a quarter), Investor Plus pricing offers $6.95 trades.
- Investors age 18-30 qualify for $7.75 trades commissions with Young Investor pricing.
- All clients have access to Qtrade Investor’s 100 commission-free ETFs
- What type of trading accounts can I open at Qtrade Investor?
Qtrade Investor offers a full range of registered and non-registered account types: RRSP, TFSA, Cash, Margin, RESP, LIRA, LRSP, RRIF, and LIF, as well as USD accounts.
- How do I move money into my trading account?
Qtrade Investor offers a number of fast and easy options to fund your account:
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Transfer funds directly from your banking account to Qtrade Investor with an easy-to-establish one-time or recurring ETF.
- Bill Payment. Send funds directly from your online banking account as a bill payment, with your Qtrade account as your payee.
- Cheque. You can mail a cheque to Qtrade Investor.
- Transfer account. If you hold an existing investing account with another brokerage, you can transfer it to Qtrade Investor. Transfer $15,000 or more and Qtrade will reimburse your transfer-out fees up to $150.
- I'm new to trading. What resources do you have to educate me?
For the first-time investor, Qtrade Investor offers a wide range of resources to help you get started, including tutorial videos, trading guides, and a wide array of investing articles in our online Education Centre.
- What tools and services are available to me with Qtrade Investor?
Qtrade Investor offers a full suite of helpful trading tools, data and analysis on our website and our mobile app to help you discover investing ideas, evaluate them, trade, and monitor the performance of your portfolio.
Discover investing ideas with analysts’ recommendations, top picks, market coverage, model portfolios, and more.
Evaluate them with extensive stock research, monitoring tools, technical analysis, analysts’ ratings, alerts and watchlists, and environmental, social and governance (ESG) ratings.
Review the performance of your investments with clear reporting capabilities, a variety of benchmarks and portfolio views (Valuation, Performance, Benchmark, Allocation).
- Are e-Statements available for Qtrade Investor accounts?
Yes. Qtrade Investor clients are encouraged to sign up for e-Statements because they're faster, more convenient, and better for the environment. Paper account statements and trade confirmations are available for a cost—please see our fee schedule for details.
- I have a trading account or an RRSP at another institution. Can I transfer it to Qtrade Investor
Yes, transferring your existing registered or non-registered account to Qtrade Investor is as simple as applying for an account and completing our transfer form online. For transfers of $15,000 or more in assets, Qtrade Investor will also reimburse your transfer fees up to $150.
- I've never traded before. Can Qtrade Investor tell me what to buy?
Qtrade Investor and other online brokers do not offer advice on the merits of specific securities. However, Qtrade does provide self-directed investors a number of helpful tools and resources to help you research and select your own investments.
- How is my account protected or guaranteed?
All accounts at Qtrade Investor are protected under the terms of the Canadian Investors Protection Fund (CIPF).
- If I have questions about my account, can I talk to my credit union representative?
Any questions about your Qtrade Investor account should be directed to Qtrade Investor.
* Mutual funds are offered through Credential Asset Management Inc. Mutual funds and other securities are offered through Credential Securities, a division of Credential Qtrade Securities Inc. Credential Securities is a registered mark owned by Aviso Wealth Inc.