Qtrade Direct Investing FAQs
- What is Qtrade?
Qtrade is BlueShore Financial’s award-winning online brokerage partner. Qtrade gives you everything you need to trade online or from mobile: a full range of investments and account types, competitive commissions, helpful tools and resources, and outstanding customer support. Qtrade is powered by Aviso Wealth, one of Canada’s largest independent providers of financial services, which is owned by the Canadian Credit Union Centrals, CUMIS and Desjardins.
- Do I have to belong to a credit union to have an account at Qtrade?
No. Any Canadian resident (except Quebec and Territories) of the age of majority can open an account at Qtrade.
- How long does it take to open an account with Qtrade?
Completing an account application online only takes a few minutes, and you can submit all your documents electronically, without printing off or mailing any forms. In most cases, you can have your account open, funded and ready to use in a matter of days.
- Is there an account minimum with Qtrade?
No, there’s no account minimum with Qtrade, so you can start investing with any amount.
- What are the costs to open an account?
There are no fees to open a trading account at Qtrade. However, there is a quarterly administration fee of $25. This administration fee is waived if any of the following apply:
- You have at least $25,000 in assets as of the last business day of each calendar quarter
- You completed at least 2 commission-generating equity or option trades during the immediately preceding calendar quarter
- You completed at least 8 commission-generating equity or option trades during the immediately preceding 12 months
- You add $100 or more to your account each month by recurring electronic funds contribution
- You are 18-30 years of age and add $50 or more each month to your account by recurring electronic funds contribution
- You have been a client for less than one calendar quarter
- How much is the commission when I trade?
- Our standard trading commission is $8.75. (For a complete list of fees and commissions, please consult Qtrade’s full fee schedule)
- For those with larger portfolios ($500,000 or more in assets) and those who trade more frequently (150 or more trades a quarter), Investor Plus pricing offers $6.95 trades.
- Investors age 18-30 qualify for $7.75 trades commissions with Young Investor pricing.
- All clients have access to Qtrade's 100 commission-free ETFs
- What type of trading accounts can I open at Qtrade?
Qtrade offers a full range of registered and non-registered account types: RRSP, TFSA, Cash, Margin, RESP, LIRA, LRSP, RRIF, and LIF, as well as USD accounts.
- How do I move money into my trading account?
Qtrade offers a number of fast and easy options to fund your account:
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). Transfer funds directly from your banking account to Qtrade with an easy-to-establish one-time or recurring ETF.
- Bill Payment. Send funds directly from your online banking account as a bill payment, with your Qtrade account as your payee.
- Cheque. You can mail a cheque to Qtrade.
- Transfer account. If you hold an existing investing account with another brokerage, you can transfer it to Qtrade. Transfer $15,000 or more and Qtrade will reimburse your transfer-out fees up to $150.
- I'm new to trading. What resources do you have to educate me?
For the first-time investor, Qtrade offers a wide range of resources to help you get started, including tutorial videos, trading guides, and a wide array of investing articles in our online Education Centre.
- What tools and services are available to me with Qtrade?
Qtrade offers a full suite of helpful trading tools, data and analysis on our website and our mobile app to help you discover investing ideas, evaluate them, trade, and monitor the performance of your portfolio.
Discover investing ideas with analysts’ recommendations, top picks, market coverage, model portfolios, and more.
Evaluate them with extensive stock research, monitoring tools, technical analysis, analysts’ ratings, alerts and watchlists, and environmental, social and governance (ESG) ratings.
Review the performance of your investments with clear reporting capabilities, a variety of benchmarks and portfolio views (Valuation, Performance, Benchmark, Allocation).
- Are e-Statements available for Qtrade accounts?
Yes. Qtrade clients are encouraged to sign up for e-Statements because they're faster, more convenient, and better for the environment. Paper account statements and trade confirmations are available for a cost—please see our fee schedule for details.
- I have a trading account or an RRSP at another institution. Can I transfer it to Qtrade?
Yes, transferring your existing registered or non-registered account to Qtrade is as simple as applying for an account and completing our transfer form online. For transfers of $15,000 or more in assets, Qtrade Investor will also reimburse your transfer fees up to $150.
- I've never traded before. Can Qtrade tell me what to buy?
Qtrade Investor and other online brokers do not offer advice on the merits of specific securities. However, Qtrade does provide self-directed investors a number of helpful tools and resources to help you research and select your own investments.
- How is my account protected or guaranteed?
All accounts at Qtrade are protected under the terms of the Canadian Investors Protection Fund (CIPF).
- If I have questions about my account, can I talk to my credit union representative?
Any questions about your Qtrade account should be directed to Qtrade.
* Mutual funds are offered through Credential Asset Management Inc. Online brokerage services are offered through Qtrade Direct Investing. Mutual funds and other securities are offered through Credential Securities. Qtrade Direct Investing and Credential Securities are divisions of Credential Qtrade Securities Inc. Credential Securities is a registered mark owned by Aviso Wealth Inc. Qtrade and Qtrade Direct Investing are trade names and trademarks of Aviso Wealth Inc. and its subsidiaries.